7 killed as gunmen attack Christian pilgrim buses in Egypt

Egypt attack on bus bound for Coptic monastery kills seven

At least 7 killed as bus carrying Christians attacked in Egypt

Just last month, an Egyptian military court handed down death sentences to 17 people convicted in a series of fatal attacks on Christians throughout the country since December 2016.

The Coptic Orthodox Church and the Interior Ministry said Islamic militants on Friday ambushed three buses carrying Christian pilgrims on their way to a remote desert monastery, killing seven and wounding 19. The previous attack in May past year left almost 30 people dead.

President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi said he mourned the victims as martyrs and vowed to forge ahead with a campaign against jihadists.

Large object found in search for missing Indonesia plane
At one point, the passenger who shot the video, Paul Ferdinand Ayorbaba, zooms in on the flight number on his boarding pass. Indonesian Navy divers have retrieved the black box from the Lion Air plane that crashed into the Java Sea early this week.

"We remain steadfast in our support of Egypt's efforts to combat terrorism and violence against religious communities". "Because I could die if I go to church", said Michel, a 23-year-old Copt whose neighbour was killed in the attack.

May 26: Masked gunmen order Christians travelling to a desert monastery to get off their buses and recant their faith. More than 100 Copts have been killed in such attacks since 2011, according to The Associated Press news agency. "This attack will not weaken the will of our nation in continuing its battle to prevail and build", the president, who called Pope Tawadros II to express his condolences, added.

Mourners gather at Prince Tadros Church for the funeral of Coptic Christians who were killed in an attack, in Minya, Egypt November 3, 2018.

Donald Trump expects 'great deal' with China over trade
The Shanghai Composite index rebounded 1.2 percent to 2,573.33 and South Korea's Kospi picked up 1.3 percent to 2,021.82. The cause of the conflict was the desire of Donald trump to reduce the USA negative trade balance with China.

Archbishop of Minya, Anba Makarious, said: "Terrorists opened fire on a tour bus from Sohag province, heading back from the monastery". Previous ones targeted churches packed with worshippers in Cairo, the Mediterranean city of Alexandria and Tanta in the Nile Delta north of the capital, leaving at least 100 people dead.

According to the Archbishop in Minya, the attack took place in nearly the same place as one by Islamist militants which killed 28 Christians in May 2017.

This follows attacks on dozens of churches, homes and businesses belonging to Copts after the bloody breaking up of two pro-Morsi gatherings in Cairo in August and with perceptions that Copts had backed his overthrow. They are the Middle East's largest Christian community and have long complained of persecution and insufficient protection.

Marcus Rashford fires Manchester United to injury-time victory over Bournemouth
Former Manchester United man Josh King has been nursing a foot injury this week and is now rated at 50 per cent to make it. Against Bournemouth , De Gea truly proved why he is the best player for United and arguably the best keeper in the world.

In Minya, the scene of Friday's attack, Christians constitute the highest percentage of the population - about 35 percent - of any Egyptian province.

Latest News