A Texas man is recovering in hospital after being bitten by a rattlesnake's head - after it had been chopped from its body.
Jennifer Sutcliffe told the local station KIII-TV that her husband was working in the garden when he saw the 1.25m rattlesnake and decapitated it.
The excessive venom almost proved fatal for Milo, who had seizures, lost his vision and began to bleed internally on his trip to the hospital.
USA defence secretary accuses China of 'intimidation' over militarised Spratly Islands
Mattis also touched on Taiwan, a longstanding dispute between the USA and China. Mattis emphasized that the US military wants more transparency from China.
Doctors initially told Sutcliffe that her husband may not make it despite the large amounts of anti-venom they were giving him.
At the hospital, Jennifer was told her husband was going into septic shock, had internal bleeding and that his blood pressure was consistently "bottoming out". A snake bite victim is usually administered two to four doses of the expensive antidote but Sutcliffe's husband was given a whopping 26 doses, she said.
While the man's injuries were life threatening, he is in a stable condition following treatment, KIRO 7 reported, despite doctors warning Sutcliffe initially that he may not pull through.
"There is about 6,000 to 8,000 snakes bites per year in the country and 10 or 12 people die", said Halpert.
Fred agrees Manchester United switch
The Brazil global arrived at Manchester United's training ground this morning to complete his £52million move to the club. Manchester United have reached an agreement to sign Brazil midfielder Fred from Shakhtar Donetsk for a reported £52m.
The best way to deal with a rattlesnake is to get away from it. Rattlers only bite when threatened, so if you see one nearby but don't threaten it, you're likely to be safe-it should mosey along and you can safely go about your day. Last month, a selfless grandfather was praised as a hero after saving his granddaughter from an eastern brown snake bite.
"No, you don't want to do any of that", Halpert said.
The Australian man from the Queensland town of Bundaberg was raking leaves in his yard with his toddler granddaughter when he spotted the snake.
Guatemala volcano: Authorities worry victims will never be recovered after eruption
More than 3,000 residents have been evacuated from the area and people have been advised to wear face masks. The spike in activity there started more than a month ago, but the volcano hasn't caused any deaths.