United Nations chief slams Saudi airstrike on Yemeni wedding

Yemen forces clash with jihadists after Red Cross worker killed

Yemen forces clash with jihadists after Red Cross worker killed

The rebels' Supreme Political Council, the highest political body in areas under their control, says Monday that its president, Saleh al-Samad, was killed by the raid in the coastal Hodeida province.

On Monday night Houthi's leader Abdul Malik al-Houthi, while addressing via television said that, overall, seven people were killed in Thursday's air raids.

Several strikes reportedly killed six others in his retinue.

There was no immediate coalition comment on the reports but Saudi broadcaster Al Arabiya TV said the alliance had killed Samad after a "precise monitoring" of his movements.

A coalition spokesman said the reports would be "fully investigated".

The conflict is widely considered a proxy war between the Iran-backed Houthis and Saudi Arabia, the Shiite theocracy's main regional rival.

"He was the acting president in the Houthi-controlled areas in Yemen, so this is considered the biggest blow for the Houthis, politically, since the war started", he told Al Jazeera.

Читайте также: Palestinian lecturer's body 'to return to Gaza from Malaysia'

He also said that coalition forces have a legal and moral commitment to protect civilians and civilian objects, in addition to taking all precautionary and preventive measures to ensure that the effects of conflict doesn't harm civilians.

But the United Nations and Western relief agencies have found that of the thousands of civilians killed in the past three years, most died as a result of airstrikes by the coalition.

Meanwhile Houthi Ansarullah Movement has elected Mahdi al-Mashat as Samad's successor.

Yemen's defenseless people have been under massive attacks by the coalition for over three years but Riyadh has reached none of its objectives in Yemen so far.

Sayyid Abdulmalik called to participate in the demonstration called by the Samad against the Saudi-led war before his assassination.

He called " for a prompt, effective and transparent investigation", said United Nations spokesman Stephane Dujarric in a statement.

U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres strongly condemned the airstrikes on the wedding party and on civilian vehicles in Taiz and reminded all parties of their obligations under worldwide humanitarian law to protect civilians in armed conflict, U.N. spokesman Stephane Dujarric said Monday.

При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2018 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.

Код для вставки в блог

Latest News