Man dies in grenade attack on U.S. embassy in Montenegro

US Embassy in Montenegro Warns About 'Active Security Situation'

US Embassy in Montenegro issues security alert after reported grenade attack

The explosion is reported to have taken place at midnight local time on Wednesday (Feb.21).

Earlier on Thursday, reports said that an unknown attacker threw a hand grenade at the USA embassy in Podgorica, Montenegro last night, before blowing himself up in front of the building.

Police in Montenegro have launched an investigation into the motives behind a possible suicide attack on the United States embassy in Podgorica, the Montenegrin capital.

Montenegro borders the Adriatic Sea in south-eastern Europe.

Six Nations 2018: Taulupe Faletau and Dan Biggar fit for Wales
Two of three of Ireland's tries against Italy were from turnover situations and an interception. Our discipline has been excellent in the first two games.

The unidentified attacker threw an explosive device into the embassy compound before killing himself with a second device.

"Immediately before, the person threw an explosive device from the intersection near the Sport Center into the US Embassy compound", the Government of Montenegro tweeted.

Photos posted on his Facebook profile include a plaque honoring his contribution in the fight against North Atlantic Treaty Organisation during the bombing.

Jaukovic wrote "No to NATO" in a May 2017 Facebook post. The details of the incident are yet unclear, but initial reports suggested that at least one attacker detonated either an improvised explosive device or a grenade in the area. It joined North Atlantic Treaty Organisation past year despite strong opposition from its traditional Slavic ally Russian Federation.

Head of Latvian Central Bank is detained for questioning
It's investigating "an alleged solicitation and acceptance of a bribe" of at least 100,000 euros, it said in a statement. While the lender denied the USA charges, the European Central Bank slapped a payment moratorium on the lender on Monday.

The man's body was found 100 feet from the embassy's wall, according to Steve Goldstein, US Undersecretary of state for public diplomacy and public affairs.

Police guard the entrance to the U.S. embassy compound in Montenegro's capital Podgorica.

The embassy canceled all services on February 22 and issued a security alert warning USA citizens to stay away until further notice.

A European Union report from 2016 estimated that around 20 Montenegrins joined militant forces in Syria since 2012, where the Islamic State group (ISIS) eventually rose to influence.

Fifty girls missing from Nigerian town after Boko Haram attack
She wondered if the Buhari led Federal Government did not learn anything from the incident of the abducted Chibok girls. They were shooting guns and everyone was confused; then we started running helter skelter but they were able to.

Latest News